To keep up with the latest news, make sure you follow us on Facebook!
Come and Try Athletics
We hold two x Come and Try Athletics events, usually in March every year. Athletics activities will run from 5.30pm to 6.30pm. There is no charge for these sessions.
Come and Try Days for 2021 are being held on Friday 12th March and Tuesday 16th March. If you can’t attend these sessions send us an email (email@example.com) or check out our Facebook page for more information.
Our first athletics season session for 2020 will be Friday 19th March starting at 5.30pm.
Darwin Athletics Club Championships
Date and times for 2021 are:
- Friday 20 August to Sunday 22 August
- Time TBC (be at the track 30mins prior to register and warm up)
Program to be advised soon.
Points earned from each event will be used to determine the club age group champions for the year.
Seven Things that every Parent and Coach Should Know
The quality of a sporting experience and the likelihood of a participant being motivated and staying in sport is often determined by the motivational climate created by the coach. This relies on satisfying three key psychological needs: autonomy, competence and relatedness.
- Autonomy is feeling that you have control over your own actions.
- Competence is having a perception that you possess adequate ability.
- Relatedness is having a sense that you belong (to the group, coach or sport).
The satisfaction of all three psychological needs (autonomy, competence and relatedness) is required to engender a positive motivational climate that encourages effort, persistence, enjoyment, satisfaction, prolonged engagement with sport and, critically, enhanced self-confidence within and outside of the sporting domain.
Seven things every coach and parent should know
- Enjoyment, mastery and socialising should remain the focus when working with all young athletes. Although winning becomes a more important motive with age (especially with adolescent males), it should not become a priority for the coach or parent.
- Coaches and parents should concentrate on the satisfaction of relatedness, as it is the key determinant of motivation for young athletes, and is associated with increased self-confidence. Such confidence can result in positive behaviours across domains (eg at school). Relatedness can be achieved through building friendships, group identity and cohesion.
- As young athletes require perceptions of competence to maintain motivation, coaches should create a motivational climate in which the athletes experience mastery and are rewarded for effort and self-development, rather than for winning.
- Coaches should remain mindful of the differential need for autonomy across age groups. The desire for ownership, input and choice increases with developmental maturity.
- It is advantageous for coaches and parents to demonstrate competence, benevolence and integrity in order to develop athlete-coach, child-parent trust.
- The use of educational material for parents should be considered, to ensure they are aware of the influence they have on their child’s motivation for sport participation.
- As technology is valued by young athletes, it should be integrated into coaching where possible. This is particularly the case when offering feedback on performances (using an iPad/video replays), and for developing and sustaining relatedness (using social media).
This is an extract from Self Determination Theory – A guide to developing young athletes (13 – 18 years).
We are looking for more committee members and coaches – let us know if you can help! The club is specifically looking for a throws coach if anyone is interested.
Level 1 and Level 2 Coaching course are usually available early in the year. The club will pay course fees for anyone who is a current DAC member or parent of a member. See Athletics NT website for further details on the courses available.
Level 1 and Level 2 Officials courses are available online for free – refer to details on Athletics NT website.
Send us an email if you want further information – firstname.lastname@example.org
We will let all registered members know about the courses or Like our Facebook page as we will post information when we have it.
Check out our Facebook page and Website for updates.